This photograph begs the question, one seat or two? The driver’s seat can be glimpsed and so presumably someone could squeeze in alongside. This 1923 A.V. Monocar ‘Runabout’ model was last in the line after the single-seater and tandem models. It was made during 1921-24 although some output occurred up to 1926. A rear view such as this is not often seen. The air-cooled JAP engine of 5 h.p. and 8 h.p. (other makes and sizes were also used) gave the car a good turn of speed.
Starting in 1913 in Farnham, Surrey, with a crude cyclecar John Carden had moved production of his Carden Monocar to Teddington by 1919 where Ward & Avey Ltd. took over Carden’s factory to manufacture and sell the car as the A.V. Monocar. The gifted Carden went on to other things. SAHB member Andrew Minney, digging in the National Archives and elsewhere, found A.V. more interesting still. George Leopold Holzapfel (of the ship paints and ship engines family, not the ornamental lathe family with a slightly different spelling) changed his name to Ward during the Great War. Frederick Max Holzapfel became Avey. George later moved to the U.S. in the oil industry, reverted to his former name, and died in California in 1978. The firm became A.V. Motors and flourished as dealers until recent times.
For those wanting more background, The Automobile v.7 n.4 June 1989 p.33-36 contains Mike Worthington-Williams’ research on Capt. Sir John Carden, Bt.