This Delahaye 135M was once the property of Siamese grand prix driver Prince Bira. Capable of 100mph motoring for up to four people, its striking Chapron-designed 3-position drophead coachwork by Pennock is finished in black and mauve with matching mauve interior. The 3.6-litre straight-six power unit drives through a 4-speed electromagnetically operated Cotal gearbox which has recently been overhauled and fitted with newly fabricated planetary gears.
The 3.2 litre Delahaye 135, also known as the ‘Coupe des Alpes’ following its rally success, was introduced in 1935, the year the company took over Delage. The larger engined 135M was added to the range in 1936 with power outputs ranging from 90 to 115bhp according to the number of carburettors fitted and continued to be available until Delahaye’s merger with Hotchkiss in 1954, after which only trucks were made.
Photo and text by Peter McFadyen. See his website: http://petermcfadyen.co.uk