Freddie Bond built his first motor car in 1922, in Brighouse in Yorkshire. At first he made assorted medium-sized cars with engines from Tylor and Continental, and American Brown-Lipe gearboxes.
In 1927 Bond changed tack and decided to build a low-slung sports car. He received financial backing from a wealthy mill owner G.A. Topham, and engaged family friend Capt. Malcolm Campbell as sole distributor. The first car was fitted with a body by Morgans of Leighton Buzzard. The third car, YW 9887 and the car in this slider, was bodied by Jarvis & Sons. The first was powered by an Anzani engine and the following two by a 1½-litre Meadows. YW 9887 differed slightly from its preceding sister cars in that it was fitted with stronger front springs and a Cozette supercharger for Campbell to race – but there is no record of his having done so.
By March 1957 the Jarvis body had disappeared, but a modern restoration has used period photographs to recreate it. A new Meadows engine, without supercharger, has been fitted and the car now performs very well without the blower.
Photo by Peter McFadyen. See his website: http://petermcfadyen.co.uk